phase 1

study of others collecting and object value habits

- Ask participant to select three objects of value.
- Discuss why there objects were chosen.
- photograph objects in situate.
- repeat.


Participant 1:

1. Fan. I picked out this object from a room full of fans. It was chipped baby blue with dodgy electrics so I stripped, polished and rewired it. I value it because of how I came to have this particular object out of a many similar ones, because of the weight and sturdiness of the design and quality and for its 50's aesthetic.

2. Snowboard. This isn't a particularly good board, but it was one of my first and even thought I have a nice pair of skies this board is still great to ride when I don't feel like skiing. It's old, has none of the new technology but it's fun, reliable and I can ride it like I don't care if I destroy it, although I would.

3. Bike. While living in Adelaide for 6 months I needed a cheaper mode of transport and a project to keep me entertained. I purchased this bike from Ebay, cleaned it up and rode it to work every day. I brought it back to Melbourne to replace my old mountain bike, gave it a bit more love and spruced it up with new paint, cranks, wheels...etc. I like the simple Repco frame, the stickers I picked up in the U.S and how well it serves me as I ride it almost every day.

Participant 2:

1. Handbag. This bag was given to my mother by me Great Aunt, Mum then gave it to me after my Great Aunt died. I value the workmanship that has gone into it, while it doesn't say where it was made, the hand beaded design and weight of the clasp have a quality that bags today don't have. It also has sentimental value as I imagine my Great Aunt having this hanging from her arm in the 1940's.

2. Art. I made these collages as part of my Year 12 IB Art class. I feel like they were a fluke in how well the turned out to my original idea and how I must have been very focused to complete them. I value them because i feel proud that I created them and because they remind me of that time in my life.

3. Wee Jock. I was 8 and traveling around Europe for 6 weeks with my family. Apparently I was getting very sad about being away from friends and missing out cat back home so while in Scotland my parents bought me something to hold onto. He was a faithful friend during the time travelling and has always had a place on my shelf, he's one of the few soft toys I've kept. And he sits next to a bottle of wine brought back from South Africa...

Participant 3:

1. Sewing Machine. Given to me for my 21st birthday this machine replaced a unreliable one that was my mothers, thought I have no memories of her sewing. It's pretty high tech but I love that it hold a world of possibilities within it and can be used to create. It always sits on my desk so I do most other work on the floor or bed.

2. Charm Necklace. This necklace was a present from my mother. I have a very strong memory of going to a local jeweller and choosing the charms for him to attach to the chain. Being obsessed with animals they all creatures I loved a bird, cat, horse, dolphin and mouse. My aunt then gave me a teddy with moving arms and legs to put on it. I still wear it, it's never broken and I can never seem to find charms like these anymore.

3. A letter. I keep this letter tucked inside an old leather purse in my lingerie draw. I is a hand written note from someone who is very important to me, and was given to me before leaving for India for 6 months. I kept it in the back pocket of my jeans for a while, hence the blue colouring, and then kept is safe while I traveled. this object is entirely sentimental and I value it for the storng memories it evokes and simple handwritten nature of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment